This article describes how to install the Jet Service Tier (including the Jet Configuration Service) for use with Jet Professional, the Jet Web Portal, and the dashboard features of Jet Enterprise (2017 and later)
With the Jet Service Tier, company administrators can configure Jet data source properties for all their users in a single location. Administrators can define data sources and give users access to these data sources using the Jet Administration console. When new Jet users are deployed, they just need to point to the location of the Jet Service Tier to gain access all of their data source connections.
This also makes it easier to share reports as organizations can ensure that a data source has a consistent name, and does not vary from user to user.
Users must be on Jet Professional 2017 or higher
- If you are using Centralized Settings with Jet Essentials 2012 R2 or an earlier version, you will need to upgrade your Centralized Settings database using the Jet Configuration installation for Jet Essentials 2013 before your users upgrade to Jet Professional. The prior Centralized Settings database is not compatible with Jet Professional 2017 . See the section Upgrading from Centralized Settings (below) for details.
- If you are using the Jet Configuration Service for Jet Essentials 2015 Update 1 or earlier , your settings database will be upgraded for use with Jet Professional. Users of Jet Essentials 2015 or earlier will *NOT* be able to access the settings in this database.
- The person installing the Jet Service Tier must have admin rights on the Microsoft SQL server
The Jet Service Tier includes multiple components:
- The Services Database resides on a SQL server instance and stores information about data source connection properties and scopes, users, and user permissions.
- The Jet Service Tier enables communication between the clients and the Services Database. This communication is encrypted as a security measure.
- The Jet Administration Console – a graphical user interface that makes it easy for administrators to manage the information in the Services Database.
Note: the Jet Setup file cannot install the Services Database on an Azure server. To install this database on a server that is on Azure please refer to the “JCS Azure configuration” folder in the product download.
Installing the Jet Service Tier, Services Database, and Jet Administration Console
|After downloading and extracting the contents of "Jet Professional Installation Files.zip", run Jet Setup.exe.
---- Videos ----
You may also want to view the Administrator Setup and Administrator Configuration videos in our Jet Professional Installation Guide.
|Select only Jet Administration Console and Jet Service Tier (deselect the other options).
|Select the Run As account which will run the Jet Service Tier.
It is strongly recommended that you run the Service Tier under the Network Service account. The Network Service account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. It has minimum privileges on the local computer and acts as the computer on the network. ( More information )
If you elect to use a different account, if the account has a password, you will want ensure that it does not change regularly (as the Jet Service Tier will have to be uninstalled and reinstalled each time).
We recommend that you use the default service port of 7090 as this matches the default port that is defined in the Jet Application Settings and will make it easy for users to connect to the service.
|Enter the name of the SQL Server Instance and provide a name for the Services Database.
Select either to log in to the database using the "Run As" account, specified on the previous screen, or provide the username and password for a different database user.
This is the account that the Jet Service Tier will use to login to the Services Database, and as such must have access to the Microsoft SQL Server.
Note: if the specified database was previously used with Jet Essentials 2013 - 2015 , the database will need to be updated for use with Jet Professional/Jet Essentials 2015 Update 1. After updating, the database will not be accessible from earlier versions of Jet Essentials.
|The setup is now ready to make the changes to your system.
Click the Install button to proceed.
Select Yes when prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
If you did *not* use Centralized Settings with an older version of Jet Essentials then your installation process is complete.
You can now use the Jet Administration Console to manage your data sources.
Upgrading from Centralized Settings
If you are using Centralized Settings with a versions of Jet Essentials prior to Jet Essentials 2013, you will need to update your Centralized Settings database using the "Jet Configuration Setup.exe" included with Jet Essentials 2013.
We recommend that you back up your existing database using SQL Server Management Studio prior to this upgrade.
Modifying Service Configuration after Installation
In some cases you may want to change how the Jet Service Tier connects to the Services Database. This requires stopping the Jet Service Tier, and restarting it with new command line arguments.
Command Line Arguments
The following command line arguments should be given when starting the service in order for it to connect to the database:
/server <database-server> /port <service-port> /database <database-name> [/user <user-name> /password <password>]
The port provided is the port used by the service tier, not the port used to connect to the database.
If the user and password are omitted, Windows Authentication is used to connect to the database
Modifying the “Run as” Service Account
When installing the Jet Service Tier, the service account specified needs to have write access to the 'Jet Configuration Service' folder in the 'Program Files' directory. This permission is given by the Jet Service Tier installer unless the user account that runs services has been changed from the default. In this case, the permission will need to be given explicitly.