This article describes how to install the Jet Configuration Service for Jet Essentials 2013 and 2013 Update 1. For newer versions of Jet Essentials, please see the article on Installing the Jet 2015 Jet Service Tier or Installing the Jet 2015 Update 1 Service Tier .
With the Jet Configuration Service, company administrators can configure Jet data source properties for all their users in a single location. Administrators can define data sources and give users access to these data sources using the Jet Administration console. When new Jet users are deployed, they just need to point to the location of the Jet Configuration Service to gain access all of their data source connections.
This also makes it easier to share reports as organizations can ensure that a data source has a consistent name, and does not vary from user to user.
Users must be on Jet Essentials 2013 or later.
- If you are using Centralized Settings with Jet Essentials 2012 R2 or an earlier version, you will need to upgrade your Centralized Settings database before your users upgrade to Jet Essentials 2013. The prior Centralized Settings database is not compatible with Jet Essentials 2013 . See the section Upgrading from Centralized Settings (below) for details.
- The person installing the Jet Configuration Service must have admin rights on the Microsoft SQL server
The Jet Configuration Service includes three components:
- The Service Database resides on a SQL server instance and stores information about data source connection properties and scopes, users, and user permissions.
- The Jet Configuration Service enables communication between the clients and the Service Database. This communication is encrypted as a security measure.
- The Jet Administration Console – a graphical user interface that makes it easy for administrators to manage the information in the Service Database.
The Jet Configuration Setup file is included in the zip file when you download Jet Essentials
Note: As of March 2014, the Jet Configuration Setup file cannot install the Service Database on an Azure server. To install this database on a server that is on Azure please refer to the “JCS Azure configuration” folder in the product download.
Installing the Jet Configuration Service & Service Database
Select “Install Service”.
This will install the Service Database and the Jet Configuration Service
Select the “Run as” account which will run the Jet Configuration Service. If the account has a password, ensure that it does not change regularly.
We recommend that you use the default
service port of 7090 as this matches the default port that is defined in the Jet Application Settings and will make it easy for users to connect to the service.
Enter the name of the server and provide a name for the Service Database.
Select either Windows or Database authentication. This is what the Jet Configuration Service will use to login to the Service Database, and as such must have access to the Microsoft SQL Server.
Click Install to install the Jet Configuration Service and Service Database.
Select "Yes" when prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
Installing the Jet Administration Console
Select "Install Jet Administration Console"
|Select " OK" when you see the message that The Jet Administration Console has been installed.|
If you did not use Centralized Settings with an older version of Jet Essentials, then your installation process is complete.
You can now use the Jet Administration Console to manage your data sources.
Upgrading from Centralized Settings
If you are using Centralized Settings with prior versions of Jet Essentials, you will need to update your Centralized Settings database before your users upgrade to Jet Essentials 2013.