In the Jet Data Manager, it is possible to guard data sources and tables so that they will not be deployed and/or executed when the normal deployment and execution of the project is done.
This can be useful in cases where the data in the table needs to be preserved. Examples include tables used to import data from Excel through the SQL Import Wizard or legacy data loaded from an old system which does need to be subsequently reloaded.
Guarding a Table
To guard a table in the staging database or data warehouse, in the Jet Data Manager, right-click the table, and go to Table Settings.
In the window that opens, on the Data tab, you will see two options for guarding different processes at the bottom:
Guard on Deployment:
This will guard the table from the normal deployment procedures. If this box is selected the following will occur:
- Deployment of the table objects (table, fields, and views) will not occur
- The associated SSIS package or ADO.NET scripts will not be created
- The data cleansing procedure will not be created
Guard on Execution:
This will guard the table form the normal execution procedures. If this box is selected the following will occur:
- The table will not be truncated, which normally deletes all prior data from the table prior to execution
- No data will be transferred into the table
- No data cleansing procedures will be run
To guard a data source:
- On the Data tab, right-click on the data source, click on Advanced and click on Guard. The Guard window opens.
- Select Guard on deployment to prevent the JDM from deploying any tables from the data source and/or Guard on execution to prevent the JDM from executing any table.
- Click on OK.