High Availability Cube Processing
Jet Enterprise supports functionality that allows the processing of cubes without the cubes being taken offline. Normally in SQL Server Analysis Services when a cube is processed and rebuilt it is taken offline during the duration of the processing and is made unavailable to end-users. There is some functionality in SQL Server Enterprise Edition that allows the cube to be taken offline but many users do not own this edition of SQL. The High Availability Cube Processing feature in the Jet Data Manager allows users to take advantage of this without the requirement of owning SQL Enterprise Edition. This way the cubes can update throughout the business day with no impact to end users. During the processing of the cube the users will still have access to the original version of the cube, which is then replaced with the new version of the cube once processing has been completed.
Enable High Availability Cube Process
1. On the Cubes tab, right click on the name of the OLAP database and select Edit OLAP Server .
2. Check the box labeled Enable Offline Processing .
3. Rename the Database field in the OLAP Server section to represent a temporary OLAP database to be used during processing. This is not the database that will be used by end users.
4. Type in the name of the database that will be used by end users in the Front Database Name field in the Offline Processing section.
5. Click OK .
6. Right-click the OLAP database and click Deploy and Execute .
7. There will now be two additional steps in the Execute OLAP Server routine that will handle the Offline Cube Processing. These are Initialize Offline Processing and Finalized Processing.
8. Click the Start button to start the processing of the cubes. Users will be able to still access the cubes as they are being processed.